As you may have guessed from yesterday's post, I've just finished a complete reinstall of our PBX system. The old system was running on Mandrake (yeah, Mandrake NOT Mandriva) and had done a great job. Unfortunately we were having a phone port lock up periodically that would require rebooting the server.
Since another "event" left me with a spare motherboard and rack mounted case I went ahead and ordered a Digium PCI-Express analog card to handle our four phone lines.
I've configured four Asterisk servers before and expected things to go smoothly. My first problem was that my last server was a version 1.2 and the newer version of Asterisk made several config file changes, causing very strange problems in my dialplan.
The next problem was that no matter what, caller-id service almost never reported the incoming number. After banging my head against the wall over and over trying to get the Ubuntu Hardy Asterisk packages to work with various configs, I finally took a stab in the dark and downloaded the latest zaptel sources from Digium and compiled them. A quick reboot and all the incoming caller-id worked beautifully.